Thursday, January 10, 2008

Rounded? Well-Rounded? Non Well-Rounded?

Rounded? Well-Rounded? Non Well-Rounded?

When somebody drops the discourse on non-roundedness, must I still be affected?
It’s a marker indicating that another battle is not worth pursuing anymore. Get my guns on another battle. For this one is not worth winning.
It is a vague issue. At best a discourse on averages.
A smattering of this and that. Tit for tat.
I cannot possibly control how others will take me.
Am I affected?
It is a lie to say I am not.
But as I have said, I cannot possibly control how others will take me.
I didn’t set out in the world to be everything.
I set out to learn. To know those things which I can do best.
And it is a lie to say I still don’t know a few of the issues I am good at.
Should I still pine for getting everything to get the best average?
Now that infuriates me. To do that is the most unintelligent thing.
I am afraid God might take the best things from me if I set my life in pursuit of that vague average.
I want to be able to say at the moment of dying, that final moment of closure, that I did the best I could in those issues presented to me.
Averages are fadistic. And even if I would have wanted to pursue the vague average, do I have to slap everyone in the room with the fact that my resources were meager?
I think it is hubris for a bourgeois “average” to regret that the people living in the mountains didn’t have cellular phones or pieces of modern fad gadgetry. They didn’t know how to go beyond themselves. That’s the simplest rebuttal I’ll give the “average.”
The best thing is I experienced everything I have been though to the fullest.
Do they know my happiness the way they knew their happiness?
I think they do not. The only thing they can do is say I am not a rounded-person because I did not fit their average. I didn’t take the same paths they took.
So what? Must I track back? Retrace my footsteps and take the same paths they took in pursuit of the enjoyment they knew best?
Theirs is really a limited self. Somebody who can’t go beyond one’s self. And when this happens, the other is not worth pursuing anymore. Communication is impossible.
Communication is a crossing of boundaries. A dynamic crossing. And it requires a great mind to really have this dynamicity. The best that the average can do is only to approximate the other, thinking that what it thinks about the other is the actual thing that the other thinks.
Approximation is not dynamicity.
Without dynamicity there is a failure of crossing.
Without crossing of boundaries there is no communication.
What is the value of an average other when you can not communicate with it?
I leave you the question to answer.
Now I sleep. And dream again.

No comments: